Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Anger's Fog

I have received several emails over the past few days. These emails have not been encouraging, in fact they have been harsh, cruel and inflammatory. When people let anger take control over their lives it clouds their judgement and puts them in a fog. The emails I have received have been from people that are upset at the leadership team (of which I am a part) of my church. Our only goal at the church where I serve is to reach un-churched people for Christ. In this process many things have changed: i.e. Worship Styles, Home-Teams (Sunday school) etc. This has a lot of people angry because "their" church has been replaced by an emphasis on the un-churched and un-saved. The angry people have tried everything to tear down what God is doing. They profess lies and launch personal attacks on the staff of my church. All of this in the name of God and because they are angry. The people I refer to are well meaning people but I believe that anger has clouded the logic in their heads. When people sign their emails as "Jack Bauer" and then try to put it out there as a reasonable and logical discourse between two people is insane. If someone can't sign their real name to a written statement about something they believe in then I say they don't really believe in that cause and they most certainly can not be taken seriously about whatever they are talking about. Once again anger has taken over. When a professing Christian flat out says that people coming to know the Lord is not the most important thing that a Church can hope to accomplish then I say that anger has clouded that Christian's vision. Anger in itself is not bad, after all Christ was angry but did not sin. What is bad is that people let anger take control of them instead of controlling their anger. I pray that I never let anger take control of my life so that I find my self in a fog that is so thick that I can't find my way out of. I pray that Christ will always be my fog lights so I can find my way to clearer paths.

1 comment:

Jessy said...

I could say "just don't listen to the negative stuff".
That's easier said than done when it's an "every time I look around .. it's in my face" kinda thing.
David writes in Psalm 55 about being betrayed and having troublesome thoughts. Who wouldn't?
But in the end he writes, "But as for me, I trust in you."
It hurts. It hurts a lot. Especially when those closest to you seem to be the ones with the loudest hurts.
Through many books and prayers and scripture, I have come to the conclusion that I want to trust God in all things, follow and support my leadership, and be an encourager to those around me.

So, hypothetically speaking, kick the dirt off your sandles, and walk in the direction of truth and encouragement wherever you can find it.
Don't let those who cast out dispersions on you defeat you, because you "trust in the Lord".
And take heart, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matt 5:11-12
Be blessed. Be strong and courageous. There are those among you who think you are great; most importantly God (and of course Andrea, your beautiful wife).

I certainly couldn't do what you do.
So sing on!
Jessy